Saturday, December 22, 2007

Yay! It's almost 3 AM

I know you all have been missing my late night rants from the hospital, and tonight's my first night back and I couldn't disappoint my crazed fans! So, as I'm sure you all know, my son rocks. You all have good lookin kids and all... but mine's cuter. Deal with it. I got the Simpson's Movie this week, and it got me to thinking of all the things I'll be forcing on my kids. I got Donald Fagan, ELO, Thomas Dolby, Old Movies, and Kingston Trio from my dad (later he unwittingly passed on Jimi Hendrix, The Doors and others when I discovered all the LP's Mom wouldn't let him play us.) As for my legacy, I hope to force, Arsenal (already doing that), Cardinals (just you wait 'til April), Transformers (got him a stuffed Bumblebee), goodness this list could go on forever. I wonder what things he likes will make me role my eyes. With any luck I can keep him away from Yugi'Oh and other expensive Cartoons/Commercials. Which brings us back to the Simpson's, are they for older audiences? or should I put Noah in front of the electronic babysitter to indoctrinate him into their yellow-y goodness. And at what point should I introduce Metallica and Led Zepplin into his life? (Right now, my mom is having a heart attack at the thought of Noah rocking out to "Enter Sandman.")

So what things have you forced on your kids? And what things have they forced on you? I heard the Wiggles weren't as annoying as they seem and that the creators of Teletubbies and Barney should be lynched. And what are your thoughts on Thomas the Train Engine and Bob the Builder, because I plan on using them to force Legos on Noah.

Ciao for now!

10 comments:

TJ said...

i am totally making my kids listen to enter sandman. i still have it on my music playlist. and believe me, you won't have to force legos. as a general rule, my kids are now allowed to watch the cartoon network. just a bunch of yucky cartoons. and you should start now introducing songs and such. that way he'll feel like he's always known these songs and won't understand others who have never heard them.

Julina said...

Re: Terina's last sentence, I'm convinced I was introduced to Simon and Garfunkel (sp??) on long car trips when I couldn't sleep, but my parents didn't think anyone was awake to complain - so when Em "introduced" me when we were teenagers, I was like "duh, where have you been" - in the realm of music/pop culture, that has virtually never happened before or since, so it was pretty cool...

And if you are using "Thomas" or "Bob" to encourage (I agree that force won't be needed) Legos, I'm in favor. But "plain" Legos are probably even better :-) - though maybe that's just the OT in me talking...

See you soon :-)

Mary Victoria said...

Voltron. My children will know 'the defender of the universe.'

Maybe you should introduce him to Strawberry Shortcake...shall I post a pic of Joe's true favorite childhood toy????

Anonymous said...

When Joe was little he loved to listen to records and tapes and read the books that went along... his favorite was Peter Pan. ... ... I'll never go for some of his fav's which he knows and loves to point out how backwards I am, but he chose Emily, his Wendy, and they have many great adventures yet to go ...
Mom

rochelle said...

Hey Joe,

Actually, Thomas and Bob (if you watch the shows) teach kids some pretty good lessons. I agree that you won't have to force Noah into playing with blocks. We just got some for Cameron for Christmas and he already seems a little interested in them. The boys already know the Brady Bunch theme song, and have listened to Dave Matthews Band. They have heard a couple of Guns 'n Roses, but there are only so many of their songs that aren't dealing with swear words, drugs and all that fun stuff. LOTR and Harry Potter are their absolute favorites. They are only 4 and 6. It doesn't take long. Enter Sandman is definitely something they will be introduced to, also. Noah is gorgeous!

RGardner said...

My kids will listen to the King's Singers as long as they live under my roof.

Hey Joe. It's Rob!

J.Ammon said...

Rob! Do you know how many Rob Gardners there are in Utah!

RGardner said...

Too many. Kim and I are excited to get outta here. We just found Matt and Nicole. They showed me your blog. Cool stuff. I wish I had one.

My family: Rob, Kim, and Tommy (3 1/2 yrs old.)

I don't know how to put pictures on this...but I can email them. Try robkimg@gmail.com.

Good seeing you again, Joe. And your family!

RGardner said...

By the way, Tommy LOVES the Beatles.

Melody said...

Eirik can't get enough of the Wonder Pets, and we don't mind because even after about 200 viewing it's still pretty darn cute. We also like the Backyardigans, cute music and dancing. And I love the Berenstein Bears because of their great morals (although Paul hates it because of the bumbeling fool dad which seems to be rampant in so many sitcoms and cartoons.)
Love your blog J